KINGSTON – Sport fans globally have been lamenting the absence of live sport that they can watch on screens or even attend considering we are all being affected by this covid19 pandemic.
What is true though, this is one of the toughest periods sport fans have gone through in the last twenty years.
- We were 65 matches in the NBA season.
- The English Premier League (EPL) did not go beyond the March 14 date.
- (Liverpool – two matches away from being declared winner)
- UEFA has suspended and pushed back dates of all its leagues
- February 19 a match was held in Milan – Atalanta vs Valencia
- MLB was in the pre-season. March 26 was supposed to be opening day.
- The Nationals are the defending champions
- NFL was doing combines and getting ready for draft (April 23 – 25) this will be virtual
- ESPN will show The Last Dance – the Michael Jordan series
- Originally set for June and will be brought forward to Sunday, April 19
- WNBA draft is coming up in May and could be virtual
The Summer Olympics was scheduled for July 24 to August 9 and sport fans were all lining up.
On the track and field calendar, the World Indoor Track and Field, Nanjing was the first event to be postponed from the IAAF calendar and all the other Diamond League events, World Continental Tour (which includes the Racers Grand Prix event in Jamaica) are all being affected.
We are looking at hundreds of hours of TV/Sport content, live and delayed that, we, as sport fans are all missing.
What about the athletes?
With five sporting disciplines (Baseball/Softball, Karate, Skateboarding, Sport climbing and Surfing) to be added to the existing 28, apart from the athletes who were gearing up for the 33 sporting disciplines in this year’s planned Summer Olympics, all the other leagues and competitions listed above would see a significant percentage of the world’s best athletes on show.
The major brands, Nike, Adidas, Puma, Reebok, Under Armour would be in the world’s eyes. Some of us would be ordering stuff online and even when we attend some of the meets, we would acquire the latest merchandise that is available.
The athletes would wear the latest set of gear that has been made and we consumers would grab this up at every chance we get.
Opportunity for athletes during COVID
- Stay safe and follow the protocols
- Show us snippets of you working out in your branded gear
- Give tips that can be used to inspire the world as you would always do
- Keep all your fans informed; you may even get new fans
No one will or should be able to say when any major sporting event will return to the court, field or track, but one thing is sure, live sport is a thing.
Until then, cherish the memories… of sport!
Stay in the Game!