In this encounter, I will delve into another area which helps you to feel great about yourself. So far I would have encouraged you to eat right, enjoy music, travel for leisure and sport; but this time I want you to explore reading.
There are so many quotes/sayings associated with reading; here are some to chew on:
- We read to know we are not alone
- Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light –Vera Nazarian
- I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense – Harold Kushner
- Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers – Charles William Eliot
Reading has a way of taking you into a space which can help you to relax when life is throwing serious challenges at you. Reading takes you away, even temporarily, from the reality of what you confront, to a place where you want to be. Reading also gives you the opportunity to consult over and over without any judgment from anyone – it is that gift you can open over and over again.
The good thing is, you can read just about anywhere
- On the train
- On a plane
- At the coffee shop
- In your bed
- On your couch
- In class
- On the beach
- Even in a meeting
Here are some ways you can start the habit of reading
- Research the authors you find readable
- Get their books
- Find books on topics you find interesting – this makes reading easy
- Find books on topics you need to learn more on – this can be hard in the beginning, but you will get there
- Find a source to get the books – online or at a book store
- Also, determine if you prefer books or on your device/s
Reading is a worthwhile hobby, but can tack up costs very quickly, so find ways and means to get books at the most reasonable costs. Join a book club so you can find folks who may want to exchange ideas and even books. A book club is also a way to be encouraged to read more, the interactivity helps.
The impact of reading on your life should be a positive one and I encourage you to read a book at least once a quarter; that is the recommendation if you are just getting into the habit. At the moment, I read a book a month, sometimes two; but then I have been doing this for a long time.
Whatever you decide to do, read a book soon – Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body – Richard Steele.