This article wishes to compile a list of ideas for artistes who ply their business on stage for a living. Live shows are always a thing. Fans will travel just about anywhere in the world to see their favorite artistes perform. What that means is, they always expect the best.
An artiste therefore needs to understand that to give the best, they must invest their time to “get their act together.”
It starts sitting with the management team, having accepted a show and the following must be done:
- Have an attorney look over the contract
- Ensure there is mutual agreement
- Number of persons to tour as part of the artiste’s party
- Submit list ahead of time to promoter
- Confirm air travel with classifications
- Confirm hotel with classifications
- Confirm ground transportation
- From airport
- From hotel to sound check
- From hotel to performance
- From hotel to airport for departure
- From hotel to a community service stop (if agreed)
- Decide on wardrobe
- Decide on media – to include exclusive where appropriate
- REHEARSE the set based on the market/audience to face
- Do the sound check
- Determine length of set without encore (this would have been in agreement)
- While on stage, ensure there is a stand for: Water; somewhere to hang clothes if the artiste decides to take off clothing; Have a back-up microphone where necessary
There are lots of other little things the Road Manager would have been able to determine based on research and would have discussed with the team. If there is a band involved ensure all band members are able to travel to the location, especially when going overseas. Ensure all visas are acquired before travel.
Performance must always be top-class
Artistes and athletes have the same type of jobs, they must “show up” on the day. There is no excuse for them. They must be ready once they are listed to perform. Live Shows must be about an experience. Ensure you are ready to deliver on that experience. The artiste must liken himself/herself to a sport star who is expected to win a race, score a goal, or score 40 points a game, or a touchdown. Patrons deserve better.
Artistes should invest in knowing what their audiences want and deliver when required. Live Shows are the pathway to a fan outside of when they buy your music to hear you via a recording. Real artistes add more to their recordings and leaves a fan wanting more.
Artistes should NEVER short-change their live performance set by thinking they can perform without 1. sound check 2. rehearsal 3. research into what the audience history is – Your portfolio should be diverse enough to make the adjustments necessary.
The next article will look at personal branding, social media and how to use that to enhance their image.