Disclaimer: This was inspired by a Time Magazine article I read some years ago.
Social graces have declined significantly and now, more than ever, soft skills are needed. The resources of developing countries, like Jamaica, have been used in national security, health and education, but we should spare some for Social Development.
Here are some ways, we can all give back!
1. SUPPORT LEGISLATION: We should make it compulsory for every Jamaican from 14 years up serve a community group, non-for-profit organization or a sporting organization. This is an expansion of our National Youth Service
2. TAKE A TOUR: We should encourage families to take a tour of Jamaica, so we can see how our brothers and sisters exist/survive.
3. JOIN THE LIBRARY (online or the Physical one): This is an encouragement for all of us to read, this is in addition to the school texts…it is also a hint to Jamaican writers to write more of our own stories.
4. START YOUNG: Imagine if you wanted to be a great football player, you would start dribbling from as early as eight years old, well since so many of our social graces have declined, get in the game early. Eat out once in a while, visit a neighbor, attend church, go our of town to an event etc
5. KNOW HOW PARLIAMENT WORKS: Know who your political representatives are and what their roles are. In other words, re-enter the CIVIC world.
6. VOLUNTEER: Go to a nursing home, a hospital, a prison facility, a school in your community; offer your service Free of Charge
7. EXERCISE: Walk 20 minutes a day for three days a week. Obesity and Heart related diseases are top in the list of killers of “black” people
8. IGNORE YOUR AGE: Not because you are a little older than some, do from “1” to “8” and stick to it. Retirement should be dynamic
9. TURN YOUR DREAMS INTO REALITY: Pass on the knowledge you have and the world will be a better place. Share, Share, Share
10. PREPARE FOR THE WORST: At all times, expect the worst, but if you are prepared you will be able to handle the challenges.
Let’s work for a better JAMAICA.